[IP] Re:work and diabetes issue--please help!!

I have a serious issue at my work and I need advice about how to proceed.
I have worked as an archaeologist for a large engineering firm for 2
years. I work in the archaeological division, which has about 100
employees in it, and 5 offices. Each office is run by a project manager,
and as long as the offices don't go overbudget, the managers are very
much in control of their offices with little oversight or interference
from the head archaeology office. My job requires me to survey land for
potential archaeological sites before roads, bridges, or federal prisons
are built (this is required by federal law, that any construction using
federal monies requires an archaeological survey to identify any sites
first, and possibly excavate them before construction). The nature of my
job requires me to travel a lot, at least 50% of the year, to states
throughout the Southeastern US, and I'm in the field running projects and
doing manual labor. I return to the office and write reports. Not an easy
job, for marriage or diabetes, but I've managed well at both, esp. b/c of
the pump.

I work extra hard at my job so that noone can say I'm not doing as well
as someone else b/c of my diabetes. I inform everyone I work with of my
diabetes, and make sure that they know where the glucagon is, and how to
administer it. I show them where the cell phone is, and to call 911 if
they are uncomfortable administering glucagon. I tell them no one in my
family will hold them liable if I died or suffered brain damage from
passing out b/c they didn't give me glucagon. I then reassure them that I
have only passed out once in 19 years. Rarely do my crew even know when
I'm having a reaction, b/c I swiftly and quietly attend to it and get
back to work. I've managed to inform many crew about diabetes, and have
even had one crew member's mother, who initially couldn't walk farther
than her driveway b/c of severe neuropathy, seek another doctor and get
on the pump and improve her health dramatically b/c of my example (not
trying to toot my own horn--just so happy about that).

I've tried to inform my boss of the same information, but she has
consistently refused to listen, although her father had Type II. She
refused to help me when the insurance co. denied the pump initially, and
I had to consult with a lawyer and use HIPAA (successfully). I tried to
explain the pump to her, but she told me that thinking about it made her
sick to her stomach and she didn't want to hear about it. During my first
evaluation, she told me she was pleased with my work, but she was
hesitant to send me into the field because of 'what might happen'. She
repeatedly refused to listen when I tried to explain what might happen
and how it could be avoided or resolved. I thank God I've never had a
serious low b.g. in the office!

Because of the excessive travel, its toll on my marriage and personal
life, and the difficulty in working for this boss in general, I secured
another position where I can work out of my home doing research. I
informed her Friday, and gave 3.5 weeks notice (2 weeks is required). She
accepted my resignation. I told her it was because of the excessive
travel and the toll it was taking on my personal life. She agreed that I
travel more than anyone else in the office. Following this meeting, she
told the secretaries that I was leaving b/c of my diabetes. She stated
that I needed rest and could not control my diabetes adequately with this
job. In addition, she mentioned to them an incident in which my set had
come out in the field. This had occurred shortly after I had gotten the
pump, and I didn't have backup supplies immediately with me. I was able
to find a diabetic pharmacy and change the set within a few hours. I
charged 4 hours to sick leave for this incident, and, aside from my endo
visits, these are the only sick leave hours attributed to diabetes that I
have used in 2 years. She told the secs that something had gone wrong
with my 'machine' and that it had interfered drastically with my field

When I heard this information from the secretaries, I was incensed. I
feel like this may be grounds for slander, and I feel like I need to
consult a lawyer. My field is quite small and competitive, and women are
already viewed as inferior at fieldwork, not to mention diabetic women. I
have no idea who else she has told this too, but I think the president of
our division for one. I apologize for this extremely long post, but...I
need help. Who should I call, and what should I do? I thought of calling
my endo to see if he can recommend a suitable lawyer in the area, or the
ADA. Please help. BTW, I'm in the field in S. Carolina this week, and
won't have access to email. If you can reply today, that's great.
Otherwise, I'll respond to anything when I return next weekend.

Thanks much,
Maureen M.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!