Re: [IP] Do DMers need primary care doctors?

For my first 34 years of diabetes in WA, I never ever saw a primary or an
internist., I didn't even know they existed. My endo took care of
everything.  Then I  moved to AZ and thought I was in a different world as
far as medical care goes, and other things.  :-)

But seriously, it was a very stressful and nightmarish two years.  The
endo's that I saw were incompetent and kept saying get a primary care
physician and they were down right mean about it.  Primary care docs kept
putting me down as Type II.  They  no near nothing as to how other sickness
will impact our diabetes.  Ah, what part of being diabetic since age three
and on insulin didn't they get?  Sorry, still thinking about what I went
through makes me angry.  I wrote letters, I made a million phone calls, if
fought and fought, well still am to a certain degree.

AZ being one of the leading states of HMO's, that's what I was stuck with
and that's how things are, and unfortunately it's becoming that way in many
areas.  I think it's a complete waste of time to go to two doctors for one
disease.  It's a waste of my time the doctors time, and the insurance
companies dollars.  I would have to make sure my labs got to whatever endo
I was trying that month.  Then if you dare mention anything other than
diabetes to the endo, oh try this drug, well my primary already has me on
something or I would get, that is not my repsonsiblity check with your
primary. I could go on for pages as to what I went through.

Finally I found an internist who does all the proper lab stuff, writes the
scripts I need for diabetes supplies and I manage myself, with the help of
a CDE, this list, and staying up on diabetes care.  I have not seen an endo
in over a year now and don't plan on it.  Besides I've been black balled in
the endo community for being so outspoken for the horrid care they provide
to diabetics.  Like a 250 plus bs in am is fine and if you're testing your
blood sugar 4 / day and the results our fine, then just test every other
day.  I kid you not, this comes from  two of the supposedly top endo's here.

So, unfortunately for us things are changing.  Some endo's are changing
with it while others are desperately trying to resist what insurance
companies are trying to dictate.