[IP] Do DMers need primary care doctors?

  During the 42 years that I have had IDDM, the only doctors checking my
general health have been either internists or endocrinologists specializing
in IDDM. They have given annual physicals and advised  how to handle a flu,
etc. Recently, I went to a new endocrinologist who asked the name of my
primary care doctor. Surprised, I answered that I expected him to play that
role. DM is the only reason I see a doctor regularly, and the diabetologist
can treat any problem that doesn't require specialized training in other
fields. Right?
    Wrong. He informed me that my experience is out of date. The standard of
care has changed.  He treats ONLY DM. I must sign up with a primary care
physician. This person conducts physicals and advises on matters not related
to DM, such as infections, colds, etc.
    Is he correct? Should I sign up with another physician even though I am
almost never sick? And shouldn't the diabetologist be involved in treating a
diabetic's colds, infections? What are other pumpers doing?