[IP] velosulin / Insulin Prescriptions

Velosulin is Regular insulin which is prepared with a phosphate buffer to
keep the amount of acidity constant. When you add it to Humulog, you change
the buffering and that can cause it to precipitate. I don't know anything
about the buffer they add to humulog but It would have to be somewhat
compatible or you couldn't mix them at all. Velosulin does not require a
prescription in the US, it is covered by the same law that all diabetic
supplies are covered under and the bottle doesn't have the phrase Rx only on
the label. I find that the average chain pharmacy doesn't stock Velosulin
nor do they generally want to. I tell my pharmacy how many vials I use in a
month and they stock it for me. In general do not shoot Velosulin into
Humulog. I'll ask Lilly and see what they say AB