Re: [IP] re: velosulin ratios...

Hi!

Amy Martin wrote:

> Ruth--
>  I thought this was all simple but now it's starting
> to sound confusing. Someone said you don't need an rx
> for Velosulin--good, but by doing it like that
> insurance will NOT cover it. (my parents are
> cheap:-)

That's true.  Why is your doc against it?  It does have to be ordered but
once the pharmacy starts stocking it, it's pretty easy to get.

> As for ratios....ok, last time I did 60uR
> 240uH, BUT chnaged my site this afternoon---and this
> was a big nono, I had 160 units left and added some
> humalog (then the bottle became all white bubbles so I
> got rid of the bottle) and topped up my reservoir with
> H--extremely INaccurate--that's just me. First off,
> can I fairly assume of the 160 units I had left it was
> proportinoately H and R, or does it relaly matter? I
> think I added another 40 units of R today...just
> reused the resrevoir, trying to get a quick change

I would probably have changed my infusion set/tubing but not the resevoir
(though its perfectly fine to do so, just easier not to).  Would have
finished off the resevoir and added a new one to the set.  In other words,
now that we have the quick release, I no longer worry about making those
parts of the changes correspond BUT you do have to keep track of when your
insulin in the resevoir will run out

> --am thinking I really need to rework bsaals before
> touching R at all, whether mixing or pure, I'm having
> way too many highs, including non-explained 400s which
> can't be blamed on food or chos at all.

That may be true although Basal testing is the same mix or no mix.  If you
use a 5:1 or 6:1 ratio it doesn't seem to change too much of the basals.
4:1 changes them some but not a huge amount for me (heard other people say
not much though so I imagine it is variable).  1:2 or 1:3 has a much bigger
effect than the 5:1 would lead me to expect.  BUT it varies from person to
person.  Mostly what will happen is that you won't get all of the punch at
the 15-30 mark when the humalog starts to work (good anyway for a big meal,
not so good for a fast acting snack) and you will have a slightly longer
tail but it will be not very strong.

>  Oh, and I saw my doc 2 weeks ago, I"m really getting
> anxious for my a1c! I thought it would've been here
> last Monday!

It's hard to wait, isn't it?
Hope that helps.  I don't know if R will do much other than change your
insulin timing (and for me that works better than either H or R alone
anyway).

Good lucjk,

Ruth