Re: [IP] kristin's skinny, resistant-to-assimilation hubby

<<About the pump:  He doesn't "want something attached"
to him all the time.>>
> The first time I saw my new endo last
> November, she offered me pump therapy.
> I declined because I didn't want that
> "attachment".  After lurking around
> IP I changed my mind (thanks, guys!)
> and started pumping in February.
As a "me too" (of which I'm generally against), I'd
have to say... I *did* hear about insulin pumps when I
was diagnosed 8 years ago (not from my docs mind you,
but from occasional mention in medical journals).  My
oppinions at the time kept comming back to "I don't
like the idea of having some kind of 'prosthetic
pancreas' attachment.  It just plain SCARES ME."

So come 2000, I decide it's time to start considering
other options... I want better control... plus I'm not
a teenager anymore, my life is more sedate than it used
to be and "I suppose I can learn to put up with
something like that".  I talked to my parents, my
sister, my partner, my ex-employers (I have this odd
bonding that seems to take place with my
employers/supervisors -- go figure), I found this and a
couple other IP lists, and a few non-IP, yet diabetes
related lists.

I've come to the point where... being 'attached' can't
really be as bad as I had it worked out to be in my
mind.  I could learn to live with it.  I even went so
far as to put together a mock pump including an actual
infusion set and tubing, which I wore for two weeks.

What did I discover?  It wasn't that inconveneint.
Peeing took some getting used to, changing clothes was
awkward for a couple days, and it took some time to
find just the right combination of tape styles,
eventually I started forgetting it was there, it didn't
even impact sleeping at all!  Don't tell anyone but I
actually MISSED IT when I ended my little experiment!

Now, I've yet to see how I'll like it in real world
conditions, with a piece of plastic stuck through my
flesh 24/7 *cringe*, but I feel positive, hearing all
the success stories here definately helps that too.

Anyway, how bad can it be?  Really?

-Sara G.