[IP] High morning numbers

<< My fasting numbers
 are good in the morning but as soon as I eat they skyrocket.  Doesn't seem
 to matter how much I bolus.  I usually eat an english muffin and a cup of
 coffee with flavored creamer.  Just wondered if anyone had found a "cure"
 for this yet? >>

I have this problem also. My wake up numbers are always good but I skyrocket
after breakfast. This does not happen after any other meal. What has worked
for me (may not work for you at all so be careful if you try it) is to
increase my early morning basals as if I have a dawn phenomenon. This
greatly blunts the spike after breakfast and I still do not drop too low if
I skip breakfast. I have been able to blunt the after breakfast spike almost
100 points using this technique. I tried leaving the basals alone and
experimenting with bigger boluses. This reduced the spike also, but I
dropped way too low between 3 and 4 hours after breakfast this way. If you
try this be sure to increase slowly and test test test test test.

I believe this is a common problem. It is indirectly mentioned in the book
Pumping Insulin. One of the patterns in the back of the book shows a huge
spike after breakfast with the sugar returning to normal before lunch. It
says that if the food choices were good (i.e. not too glycemic) then this is
a more complicated problem than some of the other patterns. You might want
to find that section and take a look at it.