[IP] Stupid Q's

I have included the two posts I'm responding to below, with a comment after.
I feel it necessary to include these to clarify MY point. Thanks for
listening - if you care to.
> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 00:35:35 -0500
> From: "JHughey" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Stupid Q's
>

> > Never such a thing as a stupid question.
>
> I'm just gonna hafta disagree with this one. It sounds so good, and
right,
> and proper, but I'm sure many have heard stupid questions - (the above,
> however, is NOT a stupid Q). On Memorial Day a local newsie asked a widow
if
> she wishes her husband were here to receive his war medal.  Now, come
on --
> don't you think that was stupid??? If someone doesn't know something, I DO
> agree it is better to ask, otherwise how do we learn? But, there ARE
*some*
> stupid questions. YMMV
> Jan (61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM507C, 3/99)
> http://maxpages.com/bludasue
>

> Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 23:33:49 -0700
> From: Sam Skopp <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] Stupid Q's
>
> An honestly asked question is never stupid in my book. To label a question
> as stupid is to label the asker as stupid. And, making judgmental
> valuations of others like that only serves to stifle inquiry and thought.
>
> If we are afraid to ask questions, then we are only promoting ignorance.
> Since the whole purpose of this group is to share information, the only
way
> to do that is via open and frank questions and answers. I hope that we
> never stop asking questions... in my opinion, to stop questioning is to
> stop living.
>
> That's just my 2 cents worth.
>
> Sam
==============
COMMENT
This puts me in mind of the recent thread of getting the point of a post. My
POINT was that there ARE some stupid Q's - but NOT here. I did not label an
asker as stupid, I was not judging the valuations. A statement like many,
many, many people use: there are NO stupid questions is like saying
*Everybody should Always remember, Never say Everybody, Always, or Never."
There ARE some stupid questions. A newsreporter asking a widow if she wishes
her husband were here - on TV, yet IS STUPID (for lack of a *better* word)!
In NO WAY did I refer to anyone on this list asking a stupid question. I did
say, <<"If someone doesn't know something, I DO agree it is better to ask,
otherwise how do we learn?">>  I wouldn't know as much as I have learned if
I had not asked questions - and even have been laughed at on occasion. But
anyone who doesn't agree that there are SOME (NOT on this list) stupid
questions, isn't listening to what is happening in the world.  (Wanna hear
some blonde jokes?) (~_^)