Re: [IP] start off with saline or not?

> after 8 months of waiting we are ready to 'hook up'
> our first child (is 11 y/o has had DM for 9 yrs) with
> the pump and was wondering if some veteran parents
> could offer some advice about using saline at first to
> get used to site chages and bolusing.
Many people, not just kids, have reportd a "stinging" sensation when
bolusing with saline. That said, a day or two certainly would not
hurt anything and lets you "try it for real" without worrying about
messing up the dose. It gives you a chance to learn the operational
details of using and living with a pump.

When my daughter received her pump she was also 11 yo, the trainer
came out to our house and set us up with saline. Lily experienced the
"stinging" with boluses (it's mild) as has been reported by others on
the list. After a couple of days on saline, we visited the doc who
put her on insulin and gave us her home phone number to use if there
was a problem over the next few days (there wasn't). If you are
comfortable with going instantly live, then what the heck..... I'm
not making a recommendation, just telling you how it went for us. In
the long run, it probably will make no difference at all. If you doc
is comfortable with it and on call should you need him/her if you
have a panic attack then go for it!!

Michael