[IP] Re In Charge Meter

fructosamine testing with the new In Charge meter, several people have
written me with a variation of the following question:

How does knowing the fructosamine values promote better control? What
is the correlation?

In my experience the weekly feedback lets me know right away when
something has gone wrong. Unlike hemoglobin A1c tests every three to
six months (the official recommendation), you know every week how you
are doing. And unlike fingerstick tests, which measure just a point in
time heavily dependant on what you have just eaten (or not),
fructosamine testing gives you an average for the week. With that
knowledge comes the power to make corrective action.

Furthermore, as I wrote, in the study the investigators said to call
them if their fructosamine value was above 350 micromolar (equivalent
to an H1c of 7.8%), when the doctors then gave them more advice on the
phone. That's pulling the doctor into the feedback loop, something
that doesn't work nearly as well with either hemoglobin A1c or blood
glucose tests.

Rick Mendosa: A Writer on the Web: www.mendosa.com
E-mail: email @ redacted  Phone: (831) 688-5300
Office: 238 Coronado Drive, Aptos, CA 95003-4011