[IP] Cutting cannulas

I would be very cautious about cutting a cannula. You could easily
'buttonhole it" when you put the harpoon back in. I'd opt for using a
sterile scalpel and just going around the circumference using the plastic
cover as a guide and support. Boiling something makes it less probable that
bacteria won't survive but remember spores from biology? buttonholing a
cannula could make it rip inside you YMMV but drive cautiously