Re: [IP] Different Meters, Different Readings

Hi Diane,

Yikes!  600 is scary!  I get the shakes along with ya!  The
last time I got that high was when (pre-pump) I was waiting
at the pharmacy to fill my insulin scrip.  My doctor wanted
me to have fasting labs before my morning shot.  The
pharmacy was busy and they had trouble reading the script,
then they had to get the insulin from the hospital pharmacy,
then they had to confirm something with the doctor.  I
waited three hours, nagging the pharmacist every 15 minutes
that my BG's were going up and I needed insulin NOW!
Finally, at 594, I gave up, my wife drove me home (which was
closer than the doctor and easier than the ER) I brought it
down.  Called the Pharmacy owner (a large hospital)
complained, called my doctor and complained and then moved
ALL my business to another pharmacy (the pharmacist at the
new place is also a CDE - a wonderful combination!).

I think it's good to use one meter (although I sometimes
wonder if the vendors are more just pushing their strips),
but I just don't like hauling around the meter all the time
(especially the Complete, which is kind of bulky)- I should
probably at least keep the same type of meter in several
places.   (any thoughts on this?)  Keeping one in several
places helps me to have "no excuses for not testing".  Of
course if it's elevated, as you note, its good to do several
consecutive readings.  When I get a really high reading I
try to check it on a different meter and use a finger stick
on a different hand - simply because there are so many
variables (heat, strips, etc.).  If they are both high, I'll
bolus for the lowest of the two, check again in an hour and
bolus again if needed.

In talking to my CDE, while there are many meter to meter
differences, one of the primary differences is between the
meters that read an electrical impulse and those that do a
color/light reading.  My FastTake, Complete and Advantage
read the electrical impulse and the InCharge uses a light.
Sometimes I take all my meters to the lab and, immediately
after the lab takes a sample, I test on all four with (if I
set it up right, I can do all four with one finger prick).