[IP] In Charge Meter

After writing two positive reviews of the new In Charge meter, I now
have scientific support that weekly home testing of fructosamine leads
to better blood glucose control. Fructosamine is a glycated protein
test similar to hemoglobin A1c, except that it gives a shorter 2-3
week average. My reviews of the In Charge meter were for
DiabetesWebSite.com at
https://www.diabeteswebsite.com/shopper/productreviewfeb00.jsp and for
Diabetes Wellness Letter at http://www.mendosa.com/2meters.htm.

The new scientific evidence comes from a study by Dr. Steven V.
Edelman and three of his associates presented yesterday at a general
poster session of the American Diabetes Association's Scientific
Sessions in San Antonio, Texas. Dr. Edelman, the primary investigator
of the study, is associate professor of medicine at the University of
California, San Diego, and founder of the Taking Control of Your
Diabetes conferences and author of a book with the same name. The
abstract is online at

The study took a 25 people with poorly controlled diabetes --
hemoglobin A1c tests above 8% -- and randomly divided them into two
groups. They advised all of them how to get better glucose control.

Then they told 14 of them to do blood glucose tests four times a day
and come back to the clinic in three months. They told a group of 11
to test their blood glucose up to 4 times per day in addition to a
weekly fructosamine test and said to call the investigator if their
fructosamine value was above 350 micromolar (equivalent to an H1c of
7.8%), when the doctors then gave them more advice on the phone.

After 3 months all of them came back to the clinic for another H1c
test. Those who were on glucose-only testing averaged a drop in their
H1c tests from 9.4% to 9.1%, which was statistically insignificant.

However, those in the combined glucose plus fructosamine testing group
dropped from an average of 9.2% to 8.0%. That is a significant drop.

My personal experience correlates with this study. Ever since I
started my weekly fructosamine testing almost nine months ago, my H1c
levels have been lower than ever.

Rick Mendosa: A Writer on the Web: www.mendosa.com
E-mail: email @ redacted  Phone: (831) 688-5300
Office: 238 Coronado Drive, Aptos, CA 95003-4011