[IP] Different Meters, Different Readings

Tom wrote on June 13,2000
<it was more important to use a
single meter than to worry about how wide the readings were
between meters and the lab - they did send me a replacement>

I understand that different meters give different readings, but last week my
Lifescan Profile registered 600 while my back up meter, another Lifescan
Profile, registered 249 (and while we're at it, my diabetic neighbor's meter
- another brand- registered 239).  Now it seemed the 600, with large
ketones! was out of whack, even though when I ran through the checks with a
one month outdated glucose solution, they registered fine- both Lifescans.

Well, I was scared to - well I was scared I'd go into DKA before I resolved
the 'mystery' so I took a big dose of Humalog by inection called the meter
company, who blamed everything on the outdated solution and told me not to
compare even two of their pumps. (Later in the week when I got new solution
- yes, I was still concious- both meters passed their tests with flying
colors!!) Now there's a huge difference between 249 and 600 and if it
weren't for the ketones I wouldn't have taken all that Humalog and of course
the ketones made it a lot harder to bring my BG down too.  Still I have no
idea what I was really doing - reminds me of the days when we peed on test
strips.  Shot in the dark.  No pun intended.  And yes I tested that 600 3 x
in a row - with shaking hands- before I believed the meter and then pulled
out the back up, 3 more tests, and then after injecting went to the
neighbors.  I'm still shaky just remembering it.

And you know I never did figure out 'why'.  I was 125 on rising, had 3 cups
of decaf, and was 600 at 9 a.m.   Really, don't compare meters.  When your
life may depend on the amount of insulin you inject to bring down a high of
600, you'd think the numbers might have been more comprable.  I'm not fuming
over a difference of even 50 points, but 300? Give me a break.