Re: [IP] to pump or not to pump

In a message dated 06/12/2000 7:28:56 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< And now WE'RE getting cold feet.
 The prospect of his being permantly hooked up/attached is daunting.  Isn't
 it better to get 4-6 shots/day and have the relative freedom of being
 unattached?  Gus wants to proceed...at the meeting he held the sample pump
 in his hand and remarked that this would be his pancreas.  Yup!  That'd be
 it!  Thoughts anyone?  do the benefits (better control) really outweigh the
 liabilities?  >>

Oh, my gosh, yes the benefits absolutely outweigh the liabilities.  What
liabilities?  The cost?  Hopefully insurance can help there.  The better
control, of going from not having any control, to having hope everyday that
the day will be manageable.  Feeling great and with energy most of the time.
Its hard to describe what fluctuating bgs feel like to someone who has never
been diabetic.  But imagine the low that you feel when you've gone 12 hours
of hard labor and not eaten.  Then imagine the high as the way you feel
bloated and sleepy lying on the couch after Grandma's Thanksgiving dinner.
Then multiply those feelings by 10.  Then imagine that you go up and down to
those points several times a day.

And yes, that pump will be Gus's pancreas.  A mechanical one, but certainly
better than the one he has that doesn't work at all.

There is NO freedom in being on MDI and unattached.  I spent 16 years that
way and will never go back.  Now I've had four years of pumping, and I have
my life back.  Sorry to be so dramatic, but that's how it feels to me.

Best of luck whichever way you decide,