Re: [IP] 3+ day sites

>> Just a question, if you wanted to use Velosulin on your
own, how do
>> you use this?  What strength?  How does this affect
your already set
>> basal and bolus rates?

> Pure Velosulin is a regular insulin. It peaks in about 4
hours as
opposed to Humalog's 2.

I think that I would add ymmv, as some of us with delayed
response (mine has been lengthening) will find a much
later peak period, both for H, V and R.  After doing a
fast, with a good result, my goal is to have a bg below
200 3 hours after a bolus.  When I tried to get below to
150 too quickly, I would get a lot of lows later and
bounce around a lot.  This is one reason I am looking
forward to the implementation of the peritonial(sp?)
shunt, or the cure(g).

> Typically this means that basal rates need to
start about an hour earlier than they do from Humalog, and
of course,
meal boluses must be done in advance as with regular+MDI.
When using
Velosulin in a mix with Humalog where it only represents
15-20% of
the insulin, the timing is about the same as straight
Humalog from
our experience.

> Michael
> email @ redacted

This is true (of course).  I always try to do a fast
whenever I do anything that may have any effect on my use
of insulin.  I am constantly tweaking buth my basal and
bolus rates to get the maximum benefit from my pump.
Jack Granowski
email @ redacted
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is
the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing,
and the worst thing you can do is nothing.
 - Theodore Roosevelt