[IP] Re: Lunch

Sara the list mom writes on 6/12/00 at 16:47 hrs,

> Yes, great for YOU, and having met you, I know you do pretty damn well on
> your schedule, but I personally don't live a SIMPLE life and would DIE if I
> tried to.  Mine is very complicated and has exciting twists and violent,
> unexpected turns almost every day.  Not meant to sound rude, but who are you,
> or anyone else, including amedical professional, for that matter, to tell me
> what is "proper" and "timely" eating?  I work in the entertainment industry.
> I sleep alot later than MOST people,,,and I eat dinner after many people have
> gone to bed (hence the 11pm chat???).
Sara, please don't get so excited.  You make Roger's and my head spin.
I wrote how I treat MYSELF.  You fire back with a short essay on why I
should not TELL YOU or anyone what and how to eat.  Am I not allowed to
express an opinion on this list? Did I forget to type YMMV? I'll have to
put YMMV in my signature for now on.  This should get me off the hook
next time I express MY opinion.

You work in the entertainment industry, I work in the service industry.
We both have to respond at a moments notice.  Unfortunately I do have to
exert energy when servicing such equipment therefore it is necessary to
replenish my cells with sugars. Even with proper basels, aren't I
allowed to be hungry? Do you stock energy bars with your dex tabs? Great
substitution for a small meal.

> I hated having to eat at a regular time when I was on MDI.  I hated being
> limited to the X number of exchanges provided by my X amount of insulin every
> day.  I can not predict if I will or will not be hungry at 1:00 OR if I will
> have the TIME to do it.  My industry is LIKE that.  I refuse to be a slave to
> diabetes as well as a slave to my job!

Yes but Sara, if you remember what you were taught as a little girl, eat
breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen, and dinner like a pauper.
Eating properly and timely is good practice for all persons regardless
of any medical condition.

> What if i pack a lunch and someone calls and
> wants to go for a calzone?  What if I plan for a calzone and don't bring a
> lunch and thn can't leave the office due to a crisis...i need, and adore, the

Big Deal!  Trash the sandwich and go to the calzone!  I would.  I love
to eat with the best of them.  I just do not make a habit of eating
out.  Once a week whether I need it or not.

> you know I love ya mark, but I think you still have that MDI hangover, when
> you HAD to be very rigid and strict about timing and quantites - and that is
> OK, if that works for you, as it very obviously does, but don't make a broad
> sweeping generalization about the rest of us and how we choose to use the
> pump, ok?
Love me?  That's a lie!  You are incredible.  You tell me not to making
broad sweeping  generalizations.  BUT here you are speaking for the
entire list as if everyone agrees with you!  Remember folks.  Eat
healthy and on time. The machine you live inside of will love you for

Cap......Oh, almost forgot.... YMMV