[IP] heart bypass question

Hello all,
I have a question to ask:  If a person who is about 50 years old or so, has
a 5 bypass surgery, then doctors detect diabetes and say it is due to this,
will this last the rest of his lifetime?  Dr's have stated it may go away,
but I don't think I understand this.  I always was told once a diabetic,
always a diabetic??  This is a dad to one of my employee's and I want to
help him, with info etc, and his wife ahs several questions too.
Thanks for any and all advice.
Lori A. Willey
First Express Inc.