Re: [IP] Advances in inhalation therapy?

I've been on an insulin inhaler since Nov. 99.  I'm in the research group
with Pfizer.  The inhaler is working . . . so far, without side effects.
>From what my CDE says, it should be released by the end of 2000.  My control
still isn't as good as I want it to be, so I'm in the process of getting a
pump!  Can't wait.

If anyone has any questions re: the inhaler, please feel free to e-mail me
personally at email @ redacted

mom and daughter, the diabetes team

----- Original Message -----
From: <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2000 10:06 AM
Subject: [IP] Advances in inhalation therapy?

I can't vouch for the authenticity of this but thought it would be of
interest. If it is authentic, we should be hearing MUCH MORE about it very
soon. I found it this morning on the Yahoo PFIZER message board. Let's hope
and pray that it isn't simply a stock 'pump and dump' scheme.
Regards,
 Gilbert Linkswiler 45 years T1, pumping since May 24, 2000

Abstract Type: Oral Abstract Presentation: Clinical Diabetes, Type 1
Abstract Category: Clinical Diabetes: Therapeutics/New Technology

Abstract Schedule: 10:15 AM-12:15 PM, 6/10/2000

AIR Insulin: Complete Diabetes Therapy Via Inhalation of Fast-Acting and
Slow-Acting Dry Powder Aerosols
JEFF HRKACH, RICK BATYCKY, DONGHAO CHEN, DAN DEAVER, KATHARINA ELBERT, LLOYD
JOHNSTON, ROSEMARY A.
KOVALESKY, JACKIE NICE, JEN SCHMITKE, KEVIN STAPLETON, DAVID EDWARDS

The systemic administration of insulin via inhalation is an attractive
alternative to injection. Several groups have been developing fast-acting,
meal-time insulin via
dry powder or liquid aerosols. Using unique porous dry powder aerosol
technology, AIR has developed both fast-acting and slow-acting pulmonary
insulin
formulations.
The AIR technology produces particles with a low density (< 0.1 g/cc), large
geometric particle size (10-20 um) and small aerodynamic size (1-3 um).
Therefore, AIR particles can be very easily aerosolized from a simple,
inexpensive inhalation device and efficiently delivered to the deep lung
(AIR
powder
deposition in humans is greater than 50% of the nominal dose) providing
excellent systemic absorption and high bioavailability of insulin.
The AIR inhaler possesses the size and approximate shape of a magic marker
pen and is easily carried in a convenient plastic case containing the
blister-packed
insulin. The inhaler requires no power source other than a patient's breath
and is very simple to use. Because large amounts of powder can be easily
delivered in
a single breath, one or two puffs can administer the required dose for
meal-time or basal-level insulin control.
The insulin powders are room-temperature stable (monomer content >99% and
A21
desamido product < 2%) in foil-foil blister packs and exhibit excellent
animal bioavailability (see Table). The sustained release (slow-acting) AIR
insulin exhibits a PK profile (in rats) similar to Humulin‚ L, whereas the
PK
profile
of the fast-release AIR insulin is similar to Humulin R.1Multiple of
systemic
insulin concentration above baseline at 8 h post-dose.
2100 ug insulin nominal dose, via insufflation.