Re: [IP] Re: liver glucagon dump and walking

I have the same problem as you, no matter what time of day I walk.  A few
nights ago, I walked in the evening, about 2-3 hours after dinner. I
started at 187, walked for 1/2 hour or so, and was 94 when I got home
(almost 100 pt. drop!) This morning, I went for a walk with my best friend
before breakfast. (we're using the buddy system to get more exercise). I
started at 126, I set a temporary basal rate for about 1/2 of what I
normally use, and set off. About 20 minutes into the walk, I started
feeling "that feeling," I was lagging behind my friend, and so I tested --
46! (80 pt. drop) I'm going to try again tomorrow, but this time, I'll eat
a ~20 carb snack first (no bolus) and see what happens. I'll count it as
part of my breakfast so I won't actually be adding more carbs to my diet.

If you'd rather avoid the snack, I would suggest running a lower basal rate
about an hour before you walk. (This would be for Humalog, if you are using
Velosulin, you would want to lower it earlier.) This will let your blood
sugar creep up so it has some cushion for the fall. As long as your bg
isn't over 250, you should be safe to walk. Like me, you'll have to do some
experimentation to find out how much and when to lower your basals, or how
much snack to eat.

Mary Jean (owner of 2 dogs also)

<< No, I'm not speed walking--unless walking (being pulled by!) 2
labradors is speedwalking. I probably walked 1.5-2 miles in 40
minutes. I usually walk a mile in 20 minutes, which is pretty typical. I
was shocked by the 29 too--especially since I felt only somewhat

So, if it's a liver glucagon dump, what should I do? Instead of
reducing the a.m basal (which may be like closing the barn door after
the horse has left), should I reduce the late afternoon/early evening
basal? If so, for how long? Before the walk starts, until 2 or 3 hours? >>