[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #226

In a message dated 06/07/2000 7:12:58 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< ---
 Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 21:14:58 -0400
 From: "gene kropfelder" <email @ redacted>
 Subject: [IP] HA1C's & Exercise
 Hello again,
     I'm still Rosemary, diabetic since age 10 and still wondering why no one
 wrote back when I asked a few days ago about what specific HA1C number you
 guys are hoping to hit?     Also, would like to know if anybody out there
 can tell me how to calculate a lower basal rate when working out or
 exercising?? Had gone to help my sister clean her home today at 9 AM. Had
 breakfast at 7:30 where I bolused 2.5 units for a 55 gram breakfast because
 I started the morning with a bg of on >>
I turn mine OFF (Suspend) when I excercise or do anything strenuous.
When not so strenuous, I reduce  my basal by one or two by entering a
Temporary Basal for as long as I think I'll be doing that "thing".  Ya gotta
play with it (experiment).  Re:your query HbA1c,  I shoot for a 6 and am
happy with a 6 and one half.  I'd turn my pump off If I were you and then
test when I finish  with all the stuff you mentioned, then restart.  First
I'd test my bg before starting, and If it is a normal range for me, I'd eat
about 15-30 CHO,check again after about 30". If results were not getting low,
then continue.  If getting low, then add another 15 CHO.
Your endo and/or CDE will help you.  If you'd like to write me on line,
please do so.  :~)
Good luck