[IP] Exercise

     Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 21:14:58 -0400
     From: "gene kropfelder" <email @ redacted>
     Subject: [IP] HA1C's & Exercise
     Personally I like mine A1C anywhere in the "normal" range. Lately I've
     been aim for 5.8-6.2. Husband and I aren't preventing having kids
     anymore, so I've been trying to stay in even tighter control. I've been
     5.9 for the last two tests :).
     As for exercise, I moonlight as an aerobic instructor and had lots of
     trouble with lows after. Similar to the number you've experienced.
     (makes cool down, very interesting, calling out instructions and
     chomping away, reach... crunching noise, reach....etc, the microphone
     amplifies everything) Anyway, I found that before intense exercise, ie
     30 plus minutes of step , kickboxing etc, I need to reduce my basal by
     30% about 1 1/2 to 2 hours before the exercise for about 1 1/2 hours.
     Clear as mud?
     example, for my 5:30 step class,
     at 3:30 (provided I am not high or low) I set a temp basal for .5
     (normally 0.7 at that time of day) for 1 1/2 hours.  Work out from
     5:30-6:30. Works for me most days :).
     If I am low at 3:30, I correct with a small snack and reduce the
     If I am high (depending on how high),
        130-160 - leave all alone, exercise will correct the high
        plus 160 - correct to 160 and leave all else alone, exercise will
        take of the rest.
     AS I said works most days for me, but every now and then strange this
     happen. Such is life. IT took a lot of trial and error to figure what
     was needed for my situation.
     You must be some cleaner, I typically don't do any basal adjustment
     when cleaning.
     Hello again,
         I'm still Rosemary, diabetic since age 10 and still wondering why
     no one wrote back when I asked a few days ago about what specific HA1C
     number you guys are hoping to hit?     Also, would like to know if
     anybody out there can tell me how to calculate a lower basal rate when
     working out or exercising?? Had gone to help my sister clean her home
     today at 9 AM. Had breakfast at 7:30 where I bolused 2.5 units for a
     55 gram breakfast because I started the morning with a bg of only 60.
     I usually bolus 1 unit for 15 grams. Anyway, by 11 AM after scrubbing
     and waxing her floors for about an hour and 15 minutes, I had a 28!
     Took OJ, ate lunch of 60 grams, after which I bolused only 2 units. 2
     and 1/2 hr. later, after cleaning her bathroom and vacuuming her
     upstairs hall, I was at 39! So, ok, I figure I should have
     decreased by basals while cleaning but as I was only on .5 at the
     time, what should I have decreased them to??? Can anyone help me? Been
     on the pump since last July, a MM 507-C. Thanks much!