Re: [IP] Islet Cell Transplantation -- NEJM pre-publication release

Mary Jean:
    To add to the palpable enthusiasm & excitement in the research community
about the Edmonton success, consider this statistic: JDF was founded in 1970
& in the past 30 yrs has given approximately $360 million to research. In
1999, $68 million was awarded to researchers & this year, $75 million will
fund research grants. The budget for 2001 called for $100 million to be
awarded, BUT, given the urgency for expediting & expanding this most recent
success, the JDF International board voted to budget $120 million to research
in 2001!!! Since I serve on the lay review committee which makes the funding
decisions, based on the medical/scientific review board's recommendations, I
can assure you this enthusiasm is genuine...and G-d willing, well-founded.

Regards, Renee (pump-mom)