Re: [IP] Diabetes in Teens any way out of those cracks?

email @ redacted writes:

<< It is a changing world and you and I CAN make a difference. The only
 way you can fall throught the cracks is if you let it happen.
  Well said..as I always say to Melissa, "if you're not part of the solution,
then you're still part of the problem?
   Just to expand upon Amy's & Sherry's suggestions, a teenaged support group
was started in the Phila area in November by Melissa and her CDE. The initial
gathering drew 21 teens ages 12-17. They sat around & talked about school
issues & just general info. They all appeared to be pleased with how things
went, but as is typical with teens, it's hard to sustain that commitment &
   The 2nd gathering was in a restaurant with the CDE"s then-nutritionist (
since let go)..Only 12 showed & Melissa was NOT thrilled. 3rd gathering was a
bowling outing & only 4 showed..at which point she & I convinced the CDE that
these kids were NOT looking to make friends & that they simply needed a venue
for sharing & comparing.
   So the 4th gathering was back in his office & although only 7 showed up,
they each brought a close friend, so everyone benefitted from the information
   The most recent gathering was devoted to hearing about the "state of the
art products" like the Precision Xtra meter & the Animas pump. ..which only
drew a very small group.
    Concurrently, I had orchestrated a Moms Lunch Bunch & last week, 25 of us
gathered for a "caring & sharing" session. VERY well-received, very needed &
definitely going to be continued. One of the moms suggested that a more
effective gathering for the teens/pre-teens might be a group "service
project", since so many of the schools require community service hours.
    Anyway, that's the brief history of Melissa's Teens in Control
group....She gets an A+ for effort and intentions, but given that the most
responsible, compliant teens with diabetes ( like Lily) are often the ones
who are also committed to so many other causes, sports, activities, etc.,
it's clear that perpetuating a group like this is a difficult, albeit greatly
needed, task.

Regards, Renee (pump-mom)