RE: [IP] Velosulin Humulog mixture

Michael said:
<<A mix of Humalog and Velosulin seems to extend the life of the site to
at least 4 days for most people. The reasons behind this are unknown,
but there is ample ancedotal evidence from Insulin Pumpers list
members of all ages (kids & adults) that this little trick works.>>

I don't think the reasons behind this are unknown.  A Novo Nordisk rep
sent me some info about Velosulin which states, in part:
"The occurence of catheter obstruction and related complications during
use of external insulin pumps is a function of the insulin preparation used.
It has been reported that buffered insulin is associated with fewer catheter
obstructions than nonbuffered insulin."
I spoke with a Drug Information Associate at Novo who explained to me
that obstructions within the infusion set are quite rare today, even when
using a nonbuffered insulin (like Humalog) due to the improved materials
of the infusion sets, however, buffered insulin (like Velosulin) is still far
less likely to cause obstructions at the tip of the catheter (where the insulin
actually enters the body).  A catheter obstruction is not necessarily a complete
blockage and may only slow down insulin absorption near the catheter tip.

Michael also said:
<<Humalog (lispro), however, irritates infusion sites for some small
percentage of people. About 5% of our surveyed list members use an
insulin mix to moderate this irritation and thus promote the
longevity of their infusion sites. >>

I'd bet a much higher percentage of list members would notice an improvement
in two areas by mixing Velosulin with their Humalog:
1) Longer lasting infusion sites.
2) Fewer high BGs for unknown reasons.
Its been great for me.  YMMV.
And thank you Michael for the fine work you do for us all.

Happily pumping H since 2/3/00
Very happily mixing H and V (5:1) since 4/6/00