[IP] A** in a sling

Bob wrote:
> patient came in with classic signs of diabetes (thirst etc.) The
> physician dx'd the diabetes and gave the gentleman a choice-
> insulin therapy OR a vegetarian diet with lots of water

Not clear.  was this person diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes?  Was he a
so-called "classic" case of type 2 diabetes, overweight, poor diet, sedentary
(though WE enlightened IPers know these aren't the ONLY things that makes you
a type 2....).

If so, then I would hope the physician WOULD offer diet and that the patient
WOULD  choose the diet first.  If given the option to eat healthy and lose
weight or take shots for the rest of my life, personally, I would lose the
weight and eat healthy, knowing what I know now,anyway...

Perhaps the doctor RIGHTLY told him that if he stuck to this diet, and was
able to lose some weight, then his pancreas would be able to make enough
insulin and he would be able to keep his bg down without insulin. If he was
lax, lazy or forgetful, then sure...his numbers continue to suck and he ends
up in ER with DKA.  It's NOT solely the doctors fault

I know when I eat close to a vegetarian diet, my insulin needs drop
significantly, so it makes sense to me that IF this person was a "classic"
type 2, that this type of diet would be beneficial.  As a physican, which
praise god i am not, this would certainly be my first choice for a newly
diagnosed type 2.  of course, then I would ALSO also have him testing his bg
REGULARLY and if the diet alone didn't WORK, then I would start him on the
oral meds...and then the insulin

ON THE OTHER HAND, if the guy was diagnosed with type 1, then, as Roseanne
Roseannadana would say...."never mind."  Type 1 is type 1 is type 1 - you
NEED insulin.  period.  end of discussion...How *MUCH* insulin is certainly
affected by how and what you eat, and indeed by how much water you drink, but
you can NOT NOT need insulin if you are a type 1 diabetic.

So, before I would want this doc's license, i would want to know what kind of
diabetes the fellow had...