RE: [IP] comfort zone

I think you are doing what is right for you.  I was diagnosed at age 4 (24
now).  My mom allowed me to have sleepovers at our house when I was 5. I
went on my first sleepover away from home when I was 6.  My best friends mom
conveniently was an RN.  :)  But I was drawing up and giving my own shots
then. (There was less scaling for food in 1981 and no Humalog).  My friends
mom just double checked the dose. (My mom wrote everything down).  By age 7
I was pretty much on my own.  My parents had me call them in the morning to
check in and to tell them when to pick me up.  Most kids did the same
(non-D).  However, I had a great bunch of friends who always looked out for
me and they had an amazing set of parents who had no problem helping.  One
mother was very squeamish around needles so she was relieved when she found
out she had to only check the dose in the syringe, not give it.  :)

But I also think that it is important for the child to feel comfortable
going for an overnight without mom or dad there.  As a parent, if you are
nervous you probably have a good reason.  However at some point your child
will need to start taking care of themselves.  It is especially important to
have them know what to do in certain situations.  If your child is not great
at carb counting, find out from the host mom/dad what food will be on hand.
If they plan on having Doritos and Oreo's (or something more nutritional
then my friends had)  you can put together a card with bolus amounts for
specified servings. (i.e. 2 Oreo's = X or 20 Oreo's = Y or 1/2 bag Doritos =
Z).  Can you tell I went to slumber parties as a preteen?  :)  Also have
correction doses and reminders not to do them until you are N hours after
last bolus.

Slumber parties are a right of childhood, and it is important to not stifle
that experience.  Then again a lot of things you had to let your children do
a first time.  Like the first time you let them walk across the street
without holding your hand, the first time you let them ride their bike to a
friends house, the first time they went to school.  I am sure there are a
lot of firsts that parents panic about even with their non-D kids.
Sometimes just letting your kids know you trust them is the most important
thing you can do.

Several parents have written how their children went to an Amusement parks
and class trips without them and did great.  One boy substituted a Coke and
cheetoes for lunch because he knew the carb count.  He had a list of fast
food that wasn't offered on the trip.  Although that was not necessarily
nutritionally balanced it showed that he was thinking on his feet and knew
he needed to carb count.

Rambling once again...I don't think anyone is too loose or too strict with
their children with this whole slumber party thing.  I just think you are
doing what you feel comfortable with(ie Subject Comfort Zone).  Maybe the
zones just need a zoning advisor once and a while.  :)

-- Sherry