[IP] FW: NNF - Fiber Fights Diabetes

Forwarded with permission from the Nutrition News Focus.  Subscription
information is included at the end of the forwarded part.  The abstract for
the paper cited is available by clicking on the link.  There is an
associated editorial as well which (I think) is available without
subscription.  You'll need a subscription to NEJM to access the full paper.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted OR
mailto:email @ redacted

the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the United States Public
Health Service or any other agency of the United States government.

*** Begin Forwarded Message ***

June 5, 2000
"Nutrition news is important.  We help you understand it!"

Today's Topic: Fiber Fights Diabetes

There is considerable debate among scientists over whether dietary
fiber improves control of blood sugar in diabetics.  A small study of
13 patients with type 2 diabetes was done in which they ate the
recommended American Diabetes Association diet providing 24 grams
(8 g soluble and 16 insoluble) of fiber or a high fiber diet
containing 50 g (25 soluble and 25 insoluble) fiber from foods for
six weeks each.

Fasting blood glucose and daily urinary glucose both dropped
significantly with the high fiber diet.  The high fiber diet also
reduced insulin, cholesterol and triglyceride levels.  All of this
happened without any weight loss.  The study appeared in the May 11,
2000 edition of the New England Journal of Medicine
( http://www.nejm.org/content/2000/0342/0019/1392.asp )

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: The usual fiber intake
in the U.S. and most European countries is around 14 grams daily.
High fiber foods in the diet described here, particularly rich in
soluble fiber, included: cantaloupe, grapefruit, orange, papaya,
raisins, lima beans, okra, sweet potato, winter squash, zucchini,
granola, oat bran and oatmeal.  Having several servings of these each
day can help control total calorie intake, as well.

Subscriber report: 22,238 readers in 95 countries.
Please recommend Nutrition News Focus to your family and friends.
If you like, point your browser to
where you'll find an easy recommendation form.
DISCLAIMER: The information in Nutrition News Focus is intended
only to help you understand the Nutrition News.  We do not recommend
any treatment, food or supplement.  It is not intended to replace
the advice of a physician.  If you read something in this newsletter
that in any way contradicts what your physician tells you, TAKE YOUR

Copyright 2000 Nutrition News Focus Inc.

*  We take the confusion out of the nutrition news
*  For a free subscription to our daily email newsletter:
*  Send a blank email to email @ redacted
*  Or visit our website at http://www.NutritionNewsFocus.com

To subscribe,   send a blank message to
email @ redacted
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to
email @ redacted
To change your email address, send a message to
email @ redacted
with the other address in the Subject: line