Re: [IP] Bone infection

In a message dated 6/3/00 12:15:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<< I have an infected bone in my foot (bit toe). I'll be admitted to the
 hospital on Monday to start on IV antibiotics, then surgery on Tuesday to
 place antibiotic beads in the bone. It occurred to me to ask the list if
 anybody else has undergone anything like that. If so, what's it like? Any
 side effects from IV antibiotics? Is it just a boring time, laying around
 hospital, having your dressings changed and beads removed one at a time? I
 plan on taking my laptop so I can write my article on (yeah, this is ironic)
 surviving a hospital stay when you have DM. Should I expect anything to
 interfere with that task? (Besides having a tendency to identify way too
 with my work?) >>
Hi Jan I was in the Hospital a few years ago for the same thing. In my case
it didn't get in the bone, but they put a pick line in my arm that went to
the edge of the heart and I spent 1 week in the hospital bed. I was sent home
with the pick line in place and had a pump continue to push the antibiotics
in me for 3 more weeks. They would not remove it until my blood test was
negative for the infection. In the past they would have taken the toe off,
but today it is a different story. After 1 month with an IV line I can only
think how lucky I was compared to people like Rodney with gastro problems.
Good luck if there is any other question about toes send me an e-mail Roger C
dx 47 PM 5/00