Re: [IP] Re: Diabetes and Anxiety

In a message dated 6/2/00 10:53:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

    I'm cutting & pasting what you posted because it bears repeating -
repeatedly!!! << we as diabetics  have learned discipline, hard work, etc.--
but we are foolish to ignore it entirely.....taking some of these precautions
and testing multiple times,.. a greater percentage of the day I'm feeling
well. >> My 17 yr old checks her bgs about 8 times/day - NOT because she's
obsessing over her diabetes, but because she's learned through trial & error
that the proverbial "ounce of prevention" is absolutely worth the "pound of
cure". An unexpected bg of 290 last night prompted her to check & then change
her infusion set, BEFORE she was dealing with even higher bgs. I saw a recent
article about "coping skills for kids with chronic illnesses" and the gist of
it was that if certain "givens" are inculcated right from the start, it's far
easier than trying to undo "bad habits" years later. We've also learned that
when it comes to diabetes self-management for Melissa, "more is less" and
"less is more", as in, the more she does routinely, the less she has to
contend with the aftermath of NOT being vigilant....and the less she does,
the more likely she is to have to expend far more energy remedying
Regards, Renee ( who's hoping today's SAT II experience for Melissa is like
Goldilocks' porridge: bgs not too high, not too low, but JUST RIGHT!)