[IP] shelf life of insulin/pen

but don't you essentially open the end of the cartridge when you screw it
into the pen contraption?  we have an old B-D pen  (1996)  and it seemed as
if the insulin becomes exposed to air when you insert it into the pen
maybe the newer ones or other brands are different.  this is why I never use
the pen as a back up for geneva.  because once we insert it,  the insulin is
only good for a week.