[IP] School Truancy Problems

Is anyone else having problems with their school-age child missing
school above and beyond what is allowable under unexcused absences
(absences without a doctor's excuse)?  We are facing that problem at
the moment and will be addressing it with our lawyer.  We received
notice from the magistrate's office that we went over the allowable
unexcused absences and must pay a fine of over $300 plus appear in
court with our son, Noah.  This is extremely frustrating for many
reasons.  Noah is an honors' student, is active in school clubs,
sports,etc., and never had a problem with missing a lot of school
until diabetes came into the picture four years ago.  He has been
battling sinus problems and allergies all year long which affect his
blood sugars and make him tired with a constant sore throat and
congested sinuses, headache, etc., etc., etc.  It is our
responsibility as parents, and should be our right, to place our
childrens' health first and foremost.  How do other parents feel
about this?  Have any of you faced similar problems?  If so, do you
have any advice?

Cindy and Steve Kress, parents of 13 year old Noah, dx June 1996,
pumping 10 months