Re: [IP] Dx-ing T-2 with HbA1c

Ginny wrote:
> > I would keep testing your hubby and keep a written record..206 is NOT
> > normal in a non-diabetic and maybe his A1C was low because he was having
> > lows. I know I would get a second opinion. The ADA has even changed it's
> > numbers now on when a person is diagnosed as having diabetes.

Yes, the diagnostic criterion is now a fasting BG of 126 or higher on 2
separate occasions.

> > Most people I have met have
> > Not been diagnosed by a A1C..it is by either thier fasting BG or by a
> > family member taking thier BGs for the "fun" of it using thier BG machine.
> > Those numbers aren't normal for a non-diabetic.

That's because the A1c is NOT valid for diagnosis. It's just not precise
enough. It misses some who do have diabetes, and would diagnose some who
don't, because it's just a fuzzy approximation of average BGs for the
last 3 months or so. And people glycate differently, anyway, so my 6.0
might really indicate the same average as someone else's 7.0 or your

JHughey wrote:
> His fasting BGs are always 83-94. I'm very uncomfortable with the 156s and
> 206s, etc. postprandial. I think his 5.4 was due to lows when not having
> eaten for several hours.

No, I think his 5.4 was due to having had good, normal BGs almost 100%
of the time. An occasional rise after a heavy or high-carb meal does NOT
indicate diabetes. And in normal people, the spike comes down VERY
quickly -- doesn't last long enough to do any appreciable damage.

The 156 and 204, as tested on a home meter aren't very exact, EITHER,
and just aren't extreme enough to worry about, unless the 156 is at the
lowest end of his post-prandial readings, and the 204 are far more

> He's a trucker.

If you're worried about your husband developing Type 2, the best thing
for him to do is to quietly improve his diet and exercise. You DON'T
want him diagnosed with diabetes, because then he runs the risk of
losing his license to drive trucks! Not in the beginning, when he'd most
likely be assigned diet and exercise (which he can do by himself without
a doctor's help!), but it starts a paper trail that can cause problems.

Also, if hubby is fat and has the insulin-resistant apple shape, he
should be watching for hypertension and hypercholesterolemia -- those
are much more risky as the causes of cardiovascular disease in Type 2
but also in people who AREN'T diabetic!
Good luck to you and your husband.

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted