Re: [IP] Re: Doing too much for my son

In a message dated 6/24/00 1:13:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<< The challenge is consistency, and the never ending nature of the routine.
    You're on a roll today! I'm relating to every one of your posts, having
been there/done that with 17 1/2 yr old Melissa. I can tell you that now,
close to 8 years after her dx, she's actually much more responsible and
reliable & accepting of the "givens" that she was in the first few years,
when I think she was still "wishing it away".
   Nonetheless, we have consulted an outside therapist who astutely told me
to stop & consider that for an average teen, doing one's schoolwork well,
extracurricular activities etc. was enough of a "job"...but that Melissa in
effect was working a double-shift, tending to her school work AND her
diabetes...and that me pestering her about anything else (social plans, etc)
was the proverbial "straw" that could cause her load to become unbearable. So
I learned to back off, and like you, STOP syaing "I know" when I truly DON'T
know, and to simply listen when she needs to "vent". I also learned to keep
things in "perspective" so that a 300+ bg from a decadent meal became simply
"1 meal out of 21" - and not an indictment of her diabetes management. By
giving her "permission" to forgive herself her imperfections in contending
with diabetes, I have hopefully given her the "space" in which she can feel
good about all that she does do!

Regards, Renee ( pump mom)