From: Jen Woodall [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 1999 6:28 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Re:relationships/love makes the world go round

> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Re: relationships
> I know I'll be hated for is but two Diabetic dating that want to have
> childern is wearing rose color glasses genetically not good and two
parents
> that on avg. will loses 1/3 of their life to this disease. People past
> childbearing years might be good if you run out of supplies you can bum
them
> from your mate

Alright, I have to chime in here.  I think it's kind of amusing that people
are discussing dating as a
practical matter, as if you should choose a partner like you choose an
infusion set.  Come on!  If you
fall in love with a diabetic, are you gonna say, "Sorry, but you're a
genetic risk."  Or if you love a
non-diabetic, will you end it with the words, "You can never understand me
because your pancreas
works!  Goodbye."  Love is and should be a mysterious and transformative
force in our lives, not part
of some carefully-wrought plan.  I speak from experience, as someone who was
swept off her feet
unawares by a great non-diabetic ten years ago (exactly, on July 4th) and
has been happily in love with
him ever since.  And yes, he can never fully understand what it feels like
to be diabetic, just as I
can't completely understand what it felt like for him when his best friend
died.  Big woop!  My advice
to all is to open your hearts to whatever love comes--romantic, platonic,
familial, diabetic,
non-diabetic, and from you pets, for 2 years or 10 or 50!  It is every bit
as good for you and as
necessary to life as Humalog.

Boy, that's a big step down off that soapbox!  ;-)

Love,
Jen