Re: [IP] help with rebellion

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Carter <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Monday, June 28, 1999 11:00 AM
Subject: [IP] help with rebellion
> I think he is around 16 or so.  I was just wondering for
> those that rebelled or for those that have experienced a rebellious
> child what brought it on and helped break the cycle>

Brian,
being of a rebellious nature myself, i empathize with this kid.  my family
is full  of diabetics (all TypeI), so  when  I quit testing when I was
16ish, it was like declaring wr.  Has more to  do with family dynamics, in
my case, thatn with the diabetes itself (I've had diabetes since  less than
a year old, so  I  wasn't really in denial!)  Probably the best thing anyone
can do for this kid is STOP TELLING HIM WHAT TO  DO AND GIVE HIM CHOICES!!!
When yuo're sixteen, you're starting to  declare your independence, so  to
speak, and to  have  everyone in the world telling you what  you "have" to
do just  doesn't work, hey're doing it  to  "help" you.
This sounds like a control issue -- maybe the instructor can work  with  the
parents on constructing a plan  on  how to  give  the guy more control   and
imput on decisions that others are  currently making about his health
care -- what to  eat, when to  eat, what he wants  to do when BGs are high,
etc.  Also, maybe introduce him to  web sites like this one where real
people who aren't  his parents are doing stuff with  diabetes.  Its better
if he  hears complications stories from people who have to  deal with  them,
not from people  who are trying to  scare him into  doing the  right  thing.
Aimee