Re: [IP] Abstracts on Type 1

email @ redacted wrote:

> I have been on the pump since January and have just gotten clearance from my
> dr. to try to get pregnant.  I am 32 years old and was diagnosed with type 1
> in December of 98.  My dr. got me on the pump within a month.  Yeah!!!  I
> have a son who is 10 and have been told that he will have a 30% chance of
> becoming Type 2.  Is this true and where do I find the studies to substaniate
> this?

Sounds like an old wives tale.  It is possible he will develop Type II depending
of course on his genetic makeup.  You could figure out the liklihood of this by
doing genetic family trees of both and your and your husbands families.
Obviously, the more cases you turn up on either and both sides, the liklier it
is.  If you have Type I, you do not necessarily have a type II gene (although,
just like anyone in the population, you may have one).  This is sort of standard
genetic charting and the people who do pregnancy genetic counseling could
probably help you look at both of your family histories in detail to get a sense
of the odds.

> More importantly to my husband, what are the chances of us having a
> Type 1 child?  Are there any recent studies I can reference?

Again, this is not a one to one thing.  If you go back through the list serve, I
think a year or so ago, there was a piece showing the actual statistics and that
fathers who have type I are more likely to have children with type I, but even
then, the percentages were not that high.  Mother's with thyroid problems were
also more likely to have children with type I, but again, not a huge percent of
them.  It is possible you will, but it is also possible for just about anyone.
Sometimes, families get genetic concentrations of the tendancy (this is why
looking at you and your husband's family medical histories will help), and that
ups the prevelance.   20 years ago, my parents, brothers and I took part in a
genetic study mapping type I and they took blood from us and did the family
histories.  This was part of the studies from which they concluded how diabetes
works genetically.   At the moment, that stuff is packed away in storage so I
can't get to it.  Try the ADA for more recent material.  If you have somewhere
between 1 in 100 and 2 in one hundred chance (according to my husband the
statistician) of having a child with diabetes, is that reason enough not to want
him or her?

Ruth