Re: [IP] RE: Breast-feeding (recent abstract)

While this abstract doesn't mention mothers with diabetes, it does point to
the benefits of breastfeeding.  I don't have diabetes, and I did breastfeed
my son, however, he was born 5 weeks early and was given cow's milk based
formula in ICU ( wouldn't allow me to pump and give him my colostrum or
breastmilk initially) and a many times after he came home because our less
than brilliant pediatrician told me to breastfeed him 5 minutes on each side
and then give him a bottle (enfamil).  UGH THE IGNORANCE.  Thankfully I found
La Leche League a little while later.  Also, Zachary was diagnosed with
diabetes at 15 months, a still on demand breastfeeding toddler, and I was
told  by the hospital doctors that "this kid should be on formula by now."
Again ignoramus' - did they think I was breastfeeding him because I didn't
think he was READY for formula?  Then they only allowed him to nurse with
meals - while his bgs were still running from high to low insanely.  Anyone
else out there breastfeed their kids while their children were newly
diagnosed with diabetes?  I wish I had kept breastfeeding him on demand .  Of
course I was pregnant with his sister then too.
Diabetes Care 1999 Jun;22(6):928-32
Perinatal and neonatal determinants of childhood type 1 diabetes. A
case-control study in Yorkshire, U.K.

McKinney PA, Parslow R, Gurney KA, Law GR, Bodansky HJ, Williams R

Paediatric Epidemiology Group, University of Leeds, U.K.

[Medline record in process]

OBJECTIVE: To identify environmental factors that exert their effect in
the perinatal and neonatal period and influence the subsequent onset of
insulin dependent (type 1) diabetes during childhood. RESEARCH DESIGN
AND METHODS: A population-based case-control study of data abstracted
from the hospital obstetric and neonatal records of 196 children with
type 1 diabetes and 325 age- and sex-matched control subjects. Analysis
of matched sets by conditional logistic regression was conducted for a
range of perinatal and neonatal factors. RESULTS: A significantly raised
risk was observed for illnesses in the neonatal period (OR 1.61, 95% CI
1.06-2.44), the majority of which were infections and respiratory
difficulties. Exclusive breast feeding as the initial feeding method was
significantly protective (OR 0.65, 95% CI 0.45-0.94). There were no
significant associations with high- or low-birth weight, being firstborn
or small-for-dates. All factors significant (5% level) for the entire
dataset, that is, maternal age, type 1 diabetes in mothers,
preeclampsia, delivery by cesarean section, neonatal illnesses, and
initial breast feeding were modeled and the OR remained significant for
all variables other than cesarean section. CONCLUSIONS: The findings are
based on medical record data that cannot be subject to biased recall of
mothers. Neonatal illnesses increased and initial breast feeding
decreased the risk of childhood type 1 diabetes. Further determinants of
risk are mothers with type 1 diabetes, older mothers, and preeclampsia
during pregnancy.

PMID: 10372244, UI: 99300832