Re: [IP] RE: Breast-feeding

At 12:11 AM -0400 6/26/99, email @ redacted wrote:
>With all the talk about needing to have good control for pregnancy, what
>about after the baby is born? Do bg's have any affect on breast-feeding? Does
>diabetes prevent people from being able to breastfeed?

I breastfed both my kids, although Logan only nursed until he was 3 months
old. Gemma weaned herself at 8 months.

With my son (who is now 10), a nurse or someone told me that high BGs make
the breast milk high in sugar, but, like the nurse Jen mentioned, this
person may be completely wrong.

I didn't have any problems with my BGs with Gemma, thanks to the pump. Your
insulin requirements will plummet post-pregnancy, whether you breastfeed or
not, so be aware of that. I also had a nurse/practioner (whom I trust
completely) tell me that some women have lows while they're breastfeeding.
I didn't notice this, though.

I highly, highly, highly recommend breastfeeding. It does so much for your
child heath-wise, not to mention how much it helps your body post-partum,
PLUS the wonderful bonding experience you have when you breastfeed.

(Type I, 26 years, D. pumper since 10/95)