Re: [IP] RE: Breast-feeding

In a message dated 6/25/99 10:51:04 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<<When I first found out I was pregnant (my son is 11 months old now) the
at the Diabetic High Risk Pregnancy Clinic I went to told me that I couldn't
breastfed because the insulin would be passed through the milk.>>

You know this really bugs me.  If this was true why do we all take shots and
use pumps.  Insulin is digested though the mouth so what ever the baby does
get does nothing.  Breastfeeding is good for the diabetic mother as well as
the baby.  It can help minimize the risk of your children developing
diabetes.  Excellent research was done in Finland and Hungary to show that
type 1's have a genetic predisposition to be allergic to bovine proteins
which are in cows milk and formula.  Early exposure starts the destruction
process.  Also breastfeeding helps you lose weight and get back to your pre
pregnancy weight.

There are so many falsehoods about breastfeeding and diabetes.  Breastfeeding
has no adverse affect on the diabetic or the child.

Breastfed three wonderful children for a total of 67 months