Re: [IP] Disabled Question Court Ruling

Two years ago when I filed a discrimination suit against my employer for trying to force me out for having a nasty insulin reaction while working, I was in touch with the ADA big time.  Even with the Americans with Disabilities Act then, the only diabetics winning any court cases were the ones whose employers were blatantly in violation of such it.  The ADA at that time had an up to date list of all pending and recently resolved court cases re diabetes and you can probably get your own copy by calling them and asking nicely. Or maybe it's even online by now.  By blatant violation I mean diabetics would have to prove they were being discriminated against because and ONLY because they were diabetic.  (Like a police department that lumps all diabetic applicants in the same can't-work-here policy).  At that time it was determined that any employer can fire you for any reason whatsoever, IF you don't live in a right-to=work state- in which case they don't even have to give you noti!
ce.  My ignorant employer tried to claim I was a 'hazard' in the work environment - as if I'd fallen into the stew pot and rolled over on the customer-  but as it turned out, after speaking with his lawyers he quickly changed his tune and decided he just didn't like me.  You also have to be able to perform the job with 'reasonable accomodation' - I needed to eat at certain times (MDI) and he tried to prevent me. But it didn't legally meet the criteria of the diabetes being the ONLY criteria for discrimination - so legally it was a toss up.

I agree this doesn't bode well for diabetics in general.
I'd suggest that if your employer starts squawking about 'too many doctors appointments' or any other such stuff that you start keeping a work log meticullously especially as it relates to your diabetes.

I settled out of court (mostly a legal maneuver, rather than a real victory) and got them to pay med insurance for another six months and then of course I got COBRA and now, still unemployed and recently disabled, have absolutelely zilch insurance and am up the proverbial crick.

Also if you're going into litigation over discrimination over your diabetes, remember litigation is hell on BGs - take forever to settle and you may end up in more trouble than it's worth.  Generally, however, most employers will settle out of court, as it costs them a lot to go to court.  And they'd rather pay something to you than to their lawyers.  If it's less thatn $25,000 they'll probably settle- but believe me it doesn't take long to go through $$ especially with a high priced companion like the pump- not to mention mortgages, kids, student loans, cars and computers!

Off my soap box now.