Re: [IP] Time to start calling the Congresscritters again

> Yesterday the Supreme Court in a burst if irrationality threw out the ADA...
> Now you can be fired for wearing glasses, taking high blood pressure medication
> or taking insulin if your employer thinks these things might possibly hinder
> your performance...  no more protection for anyone taking medication, needing a
> prosthesis or even requiring a wheelchair...  by their ruling that you are not
> considered disabled if you can possibly hold any type of job they have gutted
> the intent of the law.
> I can see it now - a person in a wheelchair applies for a job and is told that> their application won't be accepted because they are in a wheelchair... now
> because they could possibly hold a job (hypothetically) as a doorstop they now
> have no recourse against an employer who refuses to consider them for a job
> they are qualified for and could do because the employer doesn't want any
> wheelchairs in the office...
> We need to start flooding our congress critter's offices with letters, phone
> calls and also encourage everyone we know to do the same...  remind them that
> this type of issue is important and the next election isn't that far off...
> Randall

It does seem like it would be worth contacting Representatives and
Senators, but it also seems like it'd be good to have an idea of what
you're asking for before making the calls.  I think you'd need to read
the opinion.  If it's just that, on the Court's reading, the intent of
the law had been read by lower courts as being wider than it actually
was, then that's one thing.  Presumably a law with more specific and
wider intent could be passed.  If it's something else, you'd need to
know what.  I haven't actually seen the opinion yet (here in NY, we
don't get the NY Times until 10:30 or 11:00 in the morning).

For what's worth, from what I understand of the ruling, the exception
you gave (of a wheelchair user) is one of the few cases to which the
ADA would still apply.  From what I understand, the court said that
employers are allowed to consider whatever measures have been taken to
correct the disability, so if that correction makes the person
essentially non-disabled (like in the case of glasses), then the ADA
doesn't apply.  For a wheelchair user, that's not the case.

I'm not sure how that applies to the other two cases the Court
commented on though--a truck driver blind in one eye and someone on
high blood pressure medication, I think.

In any case, it sucks big time for us.  :-(

Dave Breeden                                           email @ redacted