[IP] Re: Test Strips- Any Bargains

Thanks Jen. I too paid Cobra til it ran out last December and now it's been real tough just trying to buy 'all the garbage' I need to finance my disease and I just cannot find ANY resources for pump supplies and test strips.  I remember my early days without strips when I just did urinalysis.  I can't imagine how my HA1c's would've been.  What seemed normal at the time later turned out to be a lot of highs and a few way lows. I have seriously considered 'giving up' my pump for a couple of years as supplies, etc. are just out of reach financially - that is if I want to pay the rent and eat! Sad, sad world sometimes methinks.  I have contacted my endo about coming in to discuss going back on MDI (I wrote him) I know he got the letter but so far he hasn't contacted me.  Pretty scary.  But it won't be forever, and these few years of freedom have given me the will that will help me find my way back to 'pump haven' sooner rather than later.  I too have been on the path to self emplo!
yment (Web Page Design) but it'll be awhile before I'll be back in the bucks I'm afraid.  What a nightmare (and I thought the stress of having a job was bad!)  So I sympathize with your concerns Jen and hope the rest of you pumpers are out there thinking up ways we as a collective group can stockpile some supplies for a future hedge against catastrophe for ALL of us.  Any grant writers out there?
I like to think that we - as a group- 1300 strong and growing- might be able to work out a deal with MiniMed and Diesetronic, LifeScan and Accucheck.  This is a serious issue and an all too real one.  I've gone from middle management, okay job with decent (not great) insurance to NADA - and every test strip and bottle of insulin adds up.  I'm afraid I've just slipped through all the cracks in the system and am gonna be out here with my ##$% hanging in the wind with nary a needle in site!  Or worse yet, getting awfully sick and maybe even -  well let's not get into my fears- that way lies madness.

Actually I just wanted to thank you Jen for your support and here I am going on and on about my own stuff. Sorry.  Hang in there.  And before the COBRA bites itself and dies make sure you get all those tests, like the liver and kidney functions, so that you can skip em for a year if you have no problems.  When does your policy expire?  I have other ideas that might help you if worse comes to worse.  Keep in touch. - And get that business off the ground, eh?