Once again the topic of kids getting Type 2 for being overweight and lazy
(aka sedentary) has hit the news.  Yes I think this is awful, however, can't
you just imagine how our children will soon be chided for having gotten
diabetes by lounging around on the couch eating bonbons and watching South
Park?  I'm tired of seeing this topic making headlines while Type 1 continues
to destroy our children's bodies through NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN and is
constantly minimized as the "far less common" form of diabetes.  The
following is how to write a letter to the editor followed by today's article
du jour in the New York Times!  In light of the CC in DC June 20-22, I
believe it would be timely for us to flood the NYTimes with our desire to see
Type 1 recognized for the insidious disease that it is, and how much it needs
to be cured.

To e-mail a letter to the editor, write to email @ redacted

You may also send your letter to:

Letters to the Editor
The New York Times
229 West 43rd Street
New York, NY 10036
fax: (212) 556-3622

Letters to the Times should only be sent to the Times, and not to other
publications. We do not publish open letters or third-party letters.
When writing be certain to include your name, address and a daytime
phone number. We do not set a limit to the length of letters, but we
advise the shorter the better. We regret we cannot return or acknowledge
unpublished letters. Writers of those letters selected for publication
will be notified within a week to ten days. Letters may be shortened for
space requirements.

New York Times
June 20, 1999

Adult-Type Diabetes Occurring in More Children
Forum •Join a Discussion on Science in the News

LOS ANGELES -- Adult-type diabetes is showing up in more children and
teen-agers, especially among overweight kids who watch too much
television, according to several studies released Saturday.

The type of diabetes that typically occurs in overweight older adults is
becoming more prevalent in children and adolescents, said the five
studies, released at the American Diabetes Association's annual session
in San Diego.

The results raised fears that complications from the disease, including
heart attack and stroke, could become more common in 30-year-olds.

The reports emphasized that obesity in children and teens -- linked to
more sedentary lifestyles -- seems to play a major role in early
development of the disease. Recent surveys indicate as many as 20
percent of American children are obese.

"Elevated obesity levels in children and teens is a harbinger of future
diabetes risk for them because obesity is associated with insulin
resistance, the first step in the development of type 2 diabetes," said
Bernard Zinman, a senior scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital, University
of Toronto.

The Toronto study found that lots of TV time was associated with a
significant increase in obesity for kids between ages 10 and 19.

Nearly 16 million Americans have diabetes, a group of serious diseases
characterized by high blood sugar.

Type 2 diabetes, the most common form of the condition, results from
defects in the body's ability to produce and use insulin. The far less
common type 1 diabetes is usually an autoimmune disorder that typically
starts in children or young adults who are slim.

Over the long term, high levels of blood sugar can damage blood vessels,
leading to devastating complications, such as heart attacks, strokes,
blindness and loss of limbs. Diabetes is the sixth-leading cause of
death by disease in the United States.

A study of 82 First Nation Cree-speaking children by the University of
Manitoba Faculty of Medicine found that their incidence of adult-type
diabetes was twice as high as the incidence of type 1.

The University of California at San Diego conducted a study of 58
youngsters with type 2 diabetes, of which 83 percent were obese and all
but one was overweight. Like many of the other studies, most of the
children came from ethnic minorities.

"Our findings indicate that future research must look at specific
measurements of insulin resistance in these populations before we can
understand what sub-types of diabetes may exist and use that knowledge
for more effective treatment," said Kenneth Jones, MD, chief of the
division of pediatric endocrinology and diabetes at the San Diego