Re: [IP] (Fwd) Glucose Sensor -also, anyone go to Animusimplanted sensor presentation?

email @ redacted wrote:
> It seems like this is a good diagnostic device for doctors, but has no
> practical use for patients. I already know my blood sugar isn't as good as
> I think it is from minute to minute - I don't need two infusion sets and a
> doctor to tell me that! Does anyone know why Minimed isn't making a device
> for consumers yet?

OK, this amounts to a Beta test stage: they want to prove it works in real
life conditions but feal the need (perhaps rightly so) to have it monitored by
doctors rather than patients for now, until it is proven fully.

The first separate consumer version is supposed to become available in a year
or 2, then after a total of 5 years (estimated) they hope to have the closed
loop sytem available hooked in with a pump. They're being VERY careful to
avoid anybody running amuck with a self controlling pump system that has

> P.S. -did anyone go to the presentation in Wilmington by Animus (for the
> new pump and the implantable sensor)? If it's legit, this sounded to me
> like HUGE NEWS. Wouldn't everyone want an implanted, optical device that
> lasts five years instead of disposable ones we have to jab into ourselves
> every few days (and are therefore subject to the common troubles of
> infusion sets, I presume) attached to yet another gadget to clip to our
> belts? I'm not a big fan of the "perpetual spending" approach to diabetes
> management, and the Animus device at least sounds like a step away from
> that. I'm also curious to know what the new pump looks like.

Then there's FDA approval following testing, which will cerainly take
a fair number of years.

Ted Quick