Re: [IP] Retinopathy Drug Test

Joanne,

Where did you get this article?  I found it very
interesting -- would like to know more.

My Father is legally blind from Macular Degeneration and my
Mother has it, too, plus she is diabetic (Type 2).  I know
that Macular Degeneration can be genetic so I want to stay
on top of any and all developments in that area.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

8^)

--- Joanne Spotten <email @ redacted> wrote:
> Thought this might be of interest.
>
> BALTIMORE (Johns Hopkins) - It's an eye-opening
> discovery.  A new drug,
> still in the testing phase, may someday help prevent
> blindness in
> millions of people.
>
> For the moment, the drug is called PKC 412.  In tests on
> mice, it
> completely stopped the growth of new blood vessels in the
> eye.  It
> didn't just slow the process, it brought it to a halt,
> something no
> other drug has yet been able to do.
>
> In people with diabetes, the rapid growth of new blood
> vessels in the
> eye is called diabetic retinopathy.  It can cause
> blindness.  In some
> older people with macular degeneration, abnormal blood
> vessel growth can
> also rob them of normal sight.
>
> According to Johns Hopkins ophthalmologist Dr. Peter
> Campochiaro, "These
> blood vessels grow.  They leak and they bleed and they
> cause scarring.
> And that scarring detaches the retina.  That's why most
> diabetics go
> blind.  [I believe the doctor means that retinopathy and
> subsequent
> retinal detachment are the prevalent causes of blindness
> which occurs in
> some diabetics.] By preventing the growth of these
> abnormal blood
> vessels, we can save a lot of patients, potentially, from
> blindness."
>
> By year's end, researchers hope to start clinical trials
> on people with
> diabetes and those who suffer from macular degeneration.

> HELP@insulin-pumpers.org

===
A GUARDIAN ANGEL JUST FOR YOU!

(^i^)