Re: [IP] Re: steroids!

In a message dated 6/15/99 6:38:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<< Quite normal for steroids.  Steroids, prednisone for one,
 can make a person diabetic during the term of usage.

		Yes, you are right on this, but just a point to make here,
sometimes developing diabetes from steroids doesn't stop with the end of
usage.  In my case I was on steroids for severe asthma (I've been intubated a
couple of times) taking the prednisone for several years straight.  (on and
off for the past 9 years but on it for 5 straight years during that time) and
now I have type 2 permanently.  I stopped the steroids over a year ago and
I'm still diabetic.  My endo ( who also treats my 3 kids with type 1) said
that sometimes this does happen and not just with very long term usage like
mine.  If you are predisposed to type 2 (my mother was type 2), because of
heredity, becoming diabetic from steroid usage can happen.  Just something to
watch for if it runs in your family.  In my case, the long term usage was a
matter of life and death.  It was either take the steroids or not breathe
(literally).  In a way I feel like I jumped from the frying pan into the
fire, but it can happen, so watch carefully even after finishing the steroids.