[IP] Implantable Sensor

This is from the ANIMAS company - the THIRD pump company Renee posted about
previously.

Abstract #:
0454 Abstract Category:Clinical Diabetes, Therapeutics/New Technology

Development of an Implantable NIR Spectroscopic Blood Glucose Sensor:
In-Vitro Results with Whole Blood

KATHERINE D. CROTHALL*, LUIS G. JAHN, ANIMAS CORPORATION, FRASER, PA;
MARC C. TORJMAN*, THOMAS JEFFERSON UNIVERSITY, PHILADELPHIA, PA; BOGDAN
BUTOI, ANIMAS CORPORATION, FRASER, PA; BARRY J. GOLDSTEIN*, JEFFREY I.
JOSEPH*, THOMAS JEFFERSON UNIVERSITY, PHILADELPHIA, PA; KARL NORRIS,
ANIMAS CORPORATION, FRASER, PA

Using near-infrared (NIR) spectroscopy and a universal calibration
requiring fewer than 18 wavelengths, we have shown that glucose
concentration can be measured accurately in whole blood over the
physiological range of temperatures (35 to 39 o C), with blood samples
varying markedly in chemical properties (pH, electrolytes, and
hematocrit), and in the presence of numerous potentially interfering
medications and pathlength variations (290 mm -980 mm). To our
knowledge, our study is the first such demonstration. Human blood
specimens were collected from patients in evacuated tubes containing
anti-coagulant and anti-glycolytic agents. Four spectra (11000 cm-1to
4000 cm-1) from each blood sample were taken using a modified Nicolet
FTIR with an InSb detector. Glucose concentration was measured using a
Hemocue glucometer. The 482 volunteers who donated blood ranged in age
from 18 to 80, from healthy to very ill (dialysis patients, heart
failure, etc.), and in glycemia from non-diabetics to poorly controlled
diabetics. The blood glucose ranged from 16 to 450 mg/dl, with a mean of
127 mg/dl. The graph shows the glucose concentration as predicted by the
Multiple Linear Regression (MULR) calibration versus that measured with
the Hemocue glucometer. Along with preliminary results of in-vivo NIR
spectroscopic measurement of blood glucose in dogs, these data portend
the possibility of a long-term (>5 years) implantable optical blood
glucose sensor. Additional work is underway to establish long-term data
in an implantable sensor and to develop a miniaturized implantable
sensor.