[IP] Minimed + Lilly

Subj:	MiniMed Inc. Announces Agreement With Lilly On a New...
Date:	6/14/99 8:12:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:	AOL News

MiniMed Inc. Announces Agreement With Lilly On a New Formulation of Insulin
Lyspro for Use in Pumps

      SYLMAR, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 14, 1999--MiniMed Inc. (Nasdaq:
MNMD) announced today that it has entered into a License, Supply and
Distribution Agreement with Eli Lilly and Company relating to the marketing
by MiniMed of a new formulation of insulin lyspro for use in its insulin
pumps. The Agreement includes both a license to MiniMed of Lilly's
formulation for insulin lyspro and an agreement to supply MiniMed with
insulin lyspro in bulk crystal form.

     Alfred E. Mann, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of MiniMed, stated,
"We are extremely pleased to be working with Lilly to bring our customers
insulin lyspro for use with our pumps. This Agreement represents the next
logical step in expanding our diabetes product offerings as well as a
significant step toward realizing our goal of providing total diabetes
management for people utilizing pump theory." Terrance H. Gregg, President
and Chief Operating Officer of MiniMed, added, "We believe that the added
convenience of pre-filled reservoirs will be significant to pump users. This
new arrangement is a further example of our commitment to continued
innovation and development of new products that improve the lives of people
with diabetes."

     MiniMed Inc. designs, develops, manufactures, and markets advanced
infusion systems with a primary emphasis on the intensive management of
diabetes. The Company's products include external pumps and related
disposables, as well as exclusive marketing rights to an implantable insulin
pump, which is currently approved for distribution in the European Community
and has not yet been cleared for marketing in the U.S. The Company also
distributes other diabetes supplies and pharmaceutical products. The Company
has received a unanimous recommendation for approval by an FDA Advisory Panel
on a continuous glucose monitoring system, continues to work with the FDA to
obtain final approval of this product prior to its commercial release and is
preparing to introduce this system and other continuous glucose monitoring
products in the future. The Company is also developing new infusion systems
to deliver compounds designed to treat a variety of medical conditions.

     Any statements made by MiniMed in this press release that are
forward-looking, including statements relating to the ability to complete
successfully the development of the new formulation of insulin lyspro or
pre-filled reservoirs, the ability of MiniMed to obtain regulatory approvals,
the ability of MiniMed to successfully commercialize new products, the
ability of MiniMed to market and distribute the implantable insulin pump, the
ability of MiniMed to provide total diabetes management, the significance of
pre-filled reservoirs to pump users and the ability of MiniMed and Lilly to
develop new and innovative products to treat diabetes are made pursuant to
the Safe Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Reform Act of 1995.
Investors are cautioned that forward-looking statements involve risks and
uncertainties which may affect MiniMed's business and prospects, including
changes in economic and market conditions, acceptance of MiniMed's products
by the health care and reimbursement communities, health care legislation,
new developments in diabetes therapy, administration and regulatory approval
and related considerations, and other factors discussed in the Company's
filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Terrance H. Gregg

President and Chief Operating Officer

Kevin R. Sayer

Chief Financial Officer

(818) 362-5958

MiniMed Inc.

Investor Relations:

Morgen-Walke Associates

Robert P. Jones/Ephraim R. Bernstein

(212) 850-5600

Media:  Sheryl Seapy/Amanda Christensen

(415) 296-7383

To edit your profile, go to keyword <A
For all of today's news, go to keyword <A HREF="aol://1722:News">News</A>