Re: [IP] Treating Lows/Amount and Type

Sherry Webb Nolan wrote:

>   So basically Natural fruit juices or
> things with High Fuctose Corn Syrup on their labels.  However if I eat
> Jolly Ranchers, SweetTarts, or anything else with Corn Syrup, or
> Fructose Corn Syrup on the label I often will not be up in an hour or
> more after I consume it.  In fact many times my bgs drop more.  Has
> anyone else had this problem?  Is this normal?

Sounds like a YMMV issue to me. Corn syrup other than high fructose
is absorbed slower, as I remember it, but it sounds like yours takes
a bit longer than that.

I have read that many
> people use SweetTarts and am surprised they would if their reaction to
> them was like mine?

We all vary slightly in many ways. I suspect this is one of them.

I don't have any stomach problems or any other
> diagnosed problems which would cause a delay.  From day one of being dxd
> this has been the case.  I remember when I was 8, my mother read an
> article about how milk was a great choice to bring up lows.  It
> was both short and long acting.  So she gave me a glass of milk with
> one of my lows and I almost ended up in the hospital.

Again, this is not really unusualm, and which version of milk she gave you
has a bearing too. If it was whole milk the action is delayed by the
fat, at least to some extent. I've only used skim milk or up to 1% since '62,
so wouldn't have this problem, I suppose. Of course I never did try using
milk to recover from a hypo anyway, always just got some LifeSavers or

> The second thing I wanted to respond to was the amount of sugar needed
> to bring up a bloodsugar.  Someone wrote not long ago that they couldn't
> believe someone "thought" they needed an entire can of regular soda to
> bring up a low.

Could well have been me, at least 've typed that answer a few times.
Sometimes I forget about YMMV.......

 For some reason that 65 mg mark starts a richter
> scale effect on how much sugar I need to bring it up.  Which is one of
> my concerns.  I am still on MDI and want a pump very much.  I have a
> doctors appt. on the 25th and am keeping my fingers crossed.  But will
> this strange effect to sugar keep me from getting one?

I wouldn't worry about it, it reaaly doesn't affect pump use particularly.
As long as you know what to do for a low and do it, what's the harm?

Ted Quick